Cuomo-Hochul: Democratic Leadership that Delivers Real Progressive Change
Groups Salute Governor for Proposing & Fighting for Women’s Equality Act
New York, NY – Leading women’s groups today endorsed Governor Andrew Cuomo for Governor and former Congresswoman Kathy Hochul for Lieutenant Governor. In making the endorsement, the groups praised their leadership and commitment to enacting all ten points of the Women’s Equality Act.
“Planned Parenthood Advocates of NY Political Committee, (PPANYPC) announces our strong endorsement of Governor Andrew Cuomo and Lieutenant Governor candidate Kathy Hochul. Governor Cuomo has led the most supportive administration when it comes to access to, protection of and visions for reproductive health care. Under the Cuomo Administration, access to comprehensive reproductive health care — including abortion, prenatal care and delivery through public and private health insurance — is a greater reality for more New Yorkers today. The Women’s Equality Act leads the nation in the wave of legislation that recognize that laws have not kept pace with women’s participation in our economy, and specifically ensures that New York’s abortion laws are constitutional. We salute the Governor for his work and vision, which are underscored by his choice of Kathy Hochul — a proven leader — as his running-mate. Kathy Hochul’s experience and tested leadership on the issue of reproductive health and rights while in congress allows PPANYPC to unquestionably support her candidacy. Her credentials are complementary to the Governor’s and provide depth for New Yorkers, as she has served in government from local office through the House of Representatives. Kathy Hochul was a proven fighter for women during one of the most unprecedented attacks on reproductive health seen in Congress. As our next Lientenant Governor, Kathy Hochul will round out the administration, and working together with Governor Cuomo they will create a truly dynamic and progressive team for New York State.” – M. Tracey Brooks of Planned Parenthood Advocates of NY Political Committee
“Governor Cuomo’s leadership in advancing women’s equality in New York – particularly his commitment to solidifying the right to choose for New York women – is both extraordinary and unparalleled. We look forward in the coming year to working with the Governor and a fully pro-choice State Senate and Assembly to pass the 10 crucial protections of the Women’s Equality Act. Governor Cuomo exemplifies what true leadership looks like, and NARAL Pro-Choice New York is proud to endorse him for governor.” – Andrea Miller, President, NARAL Pro-Choice New York
“As a member of Congress, Kathy Hochul had a solid pro-choice record, going to bat for the women of New York and all across this country time and again. We are proud to endorse her and believe she will bring her trademark commitment and fearlessness to the office of Lieutenant Governor.” – Andrea Miller, President, NARAL Pro-Choice New York
Governor Cuomo has restored New York’s rightful place as the progressive capital of the nation, showing that government can work and serve all New Yorkers. Together, Governor Cuomo and Kathy Hochul will work to pass all 10 points of the Women’s Equality Act:
• Achieve Pay Equity: Shatter the glass ceiling by ensuring that women receive equal pay for equal work.
• Stop Sexual Harassment in All Workplaces: Ban sexual harassment in all workplaces, regardless of the number of employees, so that all workers are protected.
• Remove Barriers to Remedying Discrimination: Allow successful plaintiffs to recover attorney’s fees in employment or credit discrimination cases based on sex.
• End Family Status Discrimination: Employers should be prohibited from denying work or promotions to workers simply because they have children.
• Stop Housing Discrimination for Victims of Domestic Violence: Prohibit landlords from discriminating against victims of domestic violence.
• Stop Source-of-Income Discrimination: Prohibit landlords from discriminating against tenants based on lawful source of income, such as Section 8 vouchers.
• Protect Victims of Domestic Violence by Strengthening Order-of-Protection Laws: Create a pilot program to allow domestic violence victims to seek temporary orders of protection through electronic means rather than having to appear in person.
• Strengthen Human Trafficking Laws: Strengthen New York’s existing human trafficking laws.
• Stop Pregnancy Discrimination Once and For All: Create a specific protection that requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations for pregnant employees.
• Protect a Woman’s Freedom of Choice: Codify a woman’s right to choose as protected in the landmark Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision.